Go Back   Club Conspiracy Forums > General Conspiracy Discussion > General Conspiracy Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Has anyone had any experience with abstinence and spiritual discipline?

I read something interesting off of GLP a few days ago talking about abstinence and its benefits. At the moment I've abstained from eating meat and a few other things, and so far it feels like whereas before I always went 'with the flow' and was beholden to my impulses, I now feel quite different.

I used to be in a state of sleepwalking, where my mind was always somewhere removed from what I was engaged in. Now, perhaps because I'm going 'against the flow', things seem more clear. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep this up, but this active resistance feels like lifting weights for the mind and spirit.

Certainly the eastern religions also use abstinence for 'higher consciousness'(whatever that means) as do monks, so I'm quite intrigued. I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it, but I thought I would share.

Does anyone have a similar experience? :-P

--Andrew Carnegie
Old 12-07-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Has anyone had any experience with abstinence and spiritual discipline?

Just found this:
------------------------------

Fasting is the most powerful spiritual discipline of all the Christian disciplines. Through fasting and prayer, the Holy Spirit can transform your life.

Fasting and prayer can also work on a much grander scale. According to Scripture, personal experience and observation, I am convinced that when God's people fast with a proper Biblical motive-seeking God's face not His hand-with a broken, repentant, and contrite spirit, God will hear from heaven and heal our lives, our churches, our communities, our nation and world. Fasting and prayer can bring about revival - a change in the direction of our nation, the nations of earth and the fulfillment of the Great Commission.

The awesome power can be released through you as you fast through the enabling of the Holy Spirit.
Fasting is one of the most neglected spiritual admonitions. In fact, it has been ignored for so long that it is difficult to find information on the "how-to's" of this life-changing experience. When I first undertook an extended fast, I had a difficult time finding information on the nature of a Biblical fast, how to start, what to expect physically and spiritually, and how to terminate a fast.

These pages are designed to answer your practical questions about fasting and ease any concerns you might have. On this web site you will learn:

Why you should fast.
How to fast safely
How long and what type of fast is right for you
How to prepare yourself spiritually and physically
How to manage your schedule while fasting
How to deal with the responses of friends and loved ones
How to make your spiritual experience the best it can be
How to maintain nutritional balance and health from beginning to end (including specific juice and broth recipes)
What physical benefits to expect
How to finish your fast and return to your normal schedule in a HEALTHY way
I want to be of help to you so I will be speaking to you from these pages at various points in the study. I have completed five 40-day fasts. I want to share with you what I have learned and what has helped me. Whether you hold a 1-day fast or an extended 40-day fast, I pray that our Lord's most wonderful love and blessings will be poured out on you as you take this exciting step of faith.
http://www.billbright.com/howtofast/
Old 12-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Has anyone had any experience with abstinence and spiritual discipline?

Thumper!

Check out www.stevepavlina.com especially his articles on Intention-Manifestation. But really all his stuff is relevant to your "experimentation" with ascesis.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Thumper wrote:
this active resistance feels like lifting weights for the mind and spirit.

Certainly the eastern religions also use abstinence for 'higher consciousness'(whatever that means) as do monks, so I'm quite intrigued. I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it, but I thought I would share.

Does anyone have a similar experience? :-P
Yes, abstinence is one kind of the many exercises and tests that one can apply to the mind. I abstain from many things (television, materialism, lust, hatred, and there’s a few others that I need to add to the list), but there are also ‘tests’ which I put myself through, for example-if I am told that there is a demon waiting for me around the corner, instead of taking a different route, I would rather confront it head-on. I see it ‘if a demon, no matter how dire, can stop me, then what good am I in these interesting times?’ If each day you fight a lion, one day you will match its strength.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:07 PM

Does abstinence have anything to do with 'living in the moment'? That's something the Bhuddists say.

And you can't go wrong with King Solomon:

"He that ruleth his spirit (is greater) than he that taketh a city." Proverbs 16:32

--Andrew Carnegie
Old 12-07-2005, 08:04 PM

I abstain from TV, but not movies. I abstain from women, but only because I can't get any right now. I most definitely abstain from eating pork or shellfish because it's unclean and makes me sick when I've tried eating it in the past. I abstain from alcohol and only drink on my birthday or special occasion depends on the circumstances. I'll add more if I can think of it later. :-P
:roll:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
int: :evil: :-...
Old 12-07-2005, 08:47 PM

i think the idea is not to just abstain for health reasons, but to deny instant gratification. this constant re-assertion of 'control' or mastery over ones impulses is supposed to give us clarity.

--Andrew Carnegie
Old 12-08-2005, 01:42 AM

peace be upon you,

Controlling oneself is the very core of the religion of God, Submission.

The test entails that a human as well as a Jinn soul is assigned to every new born, the Jinn (a descendant of Satan, but not necessarily evil) will constantly try to take over, the Human must resist and force his Jinn companion into submission to God's design (Satan was commanded to serve Adam and follow his lead, and not vice versa).

It is this state of going with the flow (some call it the Alpha state) that we are warned of in the scriptures, since when we do follow Satan's representative (the Jinn companion) and act upon his whispers, we end up making the wrong decisions because of developing bonds with the things and people that satan uses to bind us in slavery.

"Blessed is the man who endures temptation: for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him." James 1-12

Quran [79:40] As for the one who reverenced the majesty of his Lord, and enjoined the self from sinful lusts.

[79:41] Paradise will be the abode.

It is all about this internal power struggle, none can enter the kingdom of Heaven except those who control themselves (as much as they can), without falling into the extremes of total abstinense (e.g: hermitism) or self indulgence , God sent us the scripture to clarify the system through which we can balance ourselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[3:19] The only religion approved by GOD is \"Submission.\"...
Old 12-08-2005, 02:20 AM

what's wrong with hermitism?

--Andrew Carnegie
Old 12-08-2005, 05:05 AM

peace,

Hermitism is an extreme, extremes are from Satan. A hermit prefers to leave the exam paper blank and waits outside the classroom hoping that it will just be answered by itself if he kept the vigil outside!

On the other hand someone may answer 10 copies of the same exam paper, yet with the wrong answers!. Neither of the two extremes can redeem us, the test that we must confront is to join the society, get married, work..etc without ever forgetting that the Lord alone is the source of all power, only when we really understand this fact will we be able to control ourselves. Thus complete abstinence or indulgence is unrighteous.

Qur'aan [57:27] Subsequent to them, we sent our messengers. We sent Jesus the son of Mary, and we gave him the Injeel (Gospel), and we placed in the hearts of his followers kindness and mercy. But they invented hermitism which we never decreed for them. All we asked them to do was to uphold the commandments approved by GOD. But they did not uphold the message as they should have. Consequently, we gave those who believed among them their recompense, while many of them were wicked.

[3:19] The only religion approved by GOD is \"Submission.\"...